Water Scarcity

Water is easy to take for granted. It falls from the sky, and, though it’s vital, we sometimes treat it as if it’s worthless - Tim Gray

Water Scarcity

image by: Smiling Indian
     

HWN Recommends

To solve global water scarcity, we need to get more serious about desalination

As the climate warms, many of Earth’s arid regions will get even drier—while human populations and their water needs grow. Up to 60 percent of the global population may face severe water scarcity by 2025.

Earth’s H2O is 97 percent seawater, and most of the remaining 3 percent is inaccessible, frozen in glaciers or permafrost. Only a small portion, about half of a percent, exists as freshwater in aquifers and rivers that humans can tap into. A process called desalination, however, allows us to dip into the oceans to satisfy our thirst.

Desal has been around for decades and is used to make both seawater and salty groundwater drinkable. But scientists think that it will become…

read full article

Resources

Related Articles

Stay Connected

©2020 | HealthWorldNet, Inc. | 113992

Last Updated : Sunday, January 19, 2020